Position Title: Program Recruiter
Reports to: Jeremiah Fellowship National Director
Location: New York City, Washington, D.C., or Oakland, CA preferred. Qualified candidates who live
elsewhere in the U.S. will be considered for remote work.
Hours: Full-time, temporary (immediate start date with an end date of November 1, 2019
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
Bend the Arc is seeking a Program Recruiter to support the expansion of the Jeremiah Fellowship. The Jeremiah Fellowship, a part- time six month leadership development program, plays a key role in building Bend the Arc’s base of skilled and informed leaders. The Jeremiah Fellowship offers young adult Jews committed to social justice the opportunity to lead organizing work in their city; explore how Jewish values, culture and community can support and further their goals; and teaches them critical leadership skills while taking part in Bend the Arc’s social, economic, and racial justice campaigns and advocacy.
Reporting to the Jeremiah Fellowship National Director, the Program Recruiter will be responsible for finding qualified candidates from various cities across the country to apply for the Jeremiah Fellowship over 2 program years. In total, this recruiter will be responsible for working closely with the Field Staff and the Jeremiah Fellowship program team to fill 3 cohorts of 40 participants each.
- Work closely with Field Team and Jeremiah Fellowship program team to set recruitment goals, design recruitment strategy, and adjust it as needed
- Outreach to potential fellows, recruiters, progressive activists, coalition partners, clergy, and other community leaders in each of the target cities to build relationships and solicit applications
- Conduct regular phone and video calls (group and individual) with people interested in the program
- Work closely with the Communications team to ensure that in person and digital recruitment strategies are aligned and mutually beneficial
- Closely track recruitment data, including for recruiters and potential Fellows, and use it to identify learnings and to inform recruitment and program design
- Utilize Bend the Arc leadership program alumni networks to support recruitment
- Achieve the goal of no fewer than twice the number of applications for slots available in each cohort
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 2 years experience in outreach, recruitment, and/or marketing, preferably in a social justice and/or leadership program setting
- Strong commitment to and passion for the mission of Bend the Arc, and the Jewish social justice movement more broadly
- Experience with leadership development, outreach, and/or recruitment in Jewish communities, other other faith-based settings; knowledge of these communities
- Ability to develop both online and offline recruitment strategies, set and meet goals, work in a fast-paced environment, and use project management tools
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team; demonstrated ability to build relationships
- Must be a dynamic, organized and creative self-starter with a passion for Jewish social justice work and working with young adults.
- Desire to help build out an ambitious and exciting program
- Ability to travel occasionally, both in and out of state as needed. Work requires some evenings and Sundays.
- For applicants considered for remote work, must have previous professional experience working remotely
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Hangouts, etc.), as well as comfort learning new technology and systems
Compensation and Hours:
This is a full-time temporary position with an expected end date of November 1, 2019. Work schedule will include evenings and weekends. Annual salary range is $50,000-$55,000 DOE, and includes paid time off and health benefits.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Recruiter” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please. We sincerely regret that we will not be able respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Bend the Arc encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.