Job Opening: Events Coordinator
Reports to: National Organizer and Training Coordinator
Location: Philadelphia preferred but will consider Bend the Arc’s office in New York City
Start Date: March 2018
About Bend the Arc
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc: Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
About the Position
Bend the Arc is seeking an Events Coordinator to provide logistical and planning support for three planned regional gatherings in 2018 — Midwest, Mid-Atlantic & California.
Reporting to the National Organizer and Training Coordinator, the Events Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating programming and logistics for three two day gatherings in the West, Midwest, and Mid-Atlantic regions of the country in the spring and summer of 2018. Their work will require coordination with the field, communications, development, and programs teams.
The ideal candidate is an experienced project coordinator with experience working with volunteers and political/organizing experience, good at engaging partners and vendors, excellent at managing multiple projects, and skilled at working with a national team (remotely and/or in person).
Key Job Responsibilities
- Track spending and maintain project budget.
- Coordinate logistics for gathering sites in each city including communication site managers.
- Serve as onsite/day-of coordinator, ensuring timely execution of all event logistics, anticipating and troubleshooting challenges.
- Coordinate all event activities including event setup, visual displays and general execution.
- Work with the Communications team to develop and execute marketing strategies for each event.
- Maintain attendee list and make updates and changes as necessary.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- At least one year of professional experience in event planning, organization, and execution
- Ability to travel in-state and out-of-state periodically as needed
- Ability to work remotely as a part of a larger project team
- Proficiency in Google Suite and with technology
- Superior planning and organizational skills
- Adept problem solving skills with focus on efficient, quick and consistent execution
- Proactive self-starter with ability to work independently and execute tasks without direct supervision
- Creativity, flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment with unanticipated opportunities to advance Bend the Arc’s mission.
- Commitment to social justice, to the values and goals of Bend the Arc, and to working at a values-based organization with a high emphasis on mutual respect and intentional workplace culture.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to converse with and exchange information with staff, volunteers, partners and vendors. This position requires someone to remain in a stationary position for up to 50% of the time. However, when preparing for and during events, moving boxes of up to 25 pounds and positioning signage and assisting with space set up will be necessary.
Compensation and Hours
This is a part-time, temporary position, with some evening or weekend hours based on need. Estimated time commitment is 10-15 hours per week on average, increasing before and during events, from March through July 2018.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter stating why you want to work at Bend the Arc to [email protected] with “Event Coordinator” in the subject line of your message. We sincerely regret that we will not be able respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.