Job Opening: Online-Offline Electoral Organizer
Reports to: National Field Director
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Open to position being located in Las Vegas, Denver, Boca/Miami, Los Angeles, or New York
Hours: Full-time through December 2018
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc: Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
For years, we’ve worked to build a more just society. Now we’re rising up in solidarity with everyone threatened by the Trump agenda to fight for the soul of our nation. Together we stand with communities under attack, win strategic state and local legislative victories that offer an alternative to the Trump's destructive agenda, hold Trump’s enablers in Congress accountable, and register, educate, and mobilize voters.
Bend the Arc's field program seeks to organize and mobilize American Jews and allies in order to execute the following strategy:
Work with our key partners and build to scale our national base and grassroots volunteer and leadership capacity so that we can activate Jewish power to:
- Fight the Trump/Republican agenda alongside impacted communities to prevent regressive and authoritarian policies and practices and expose, discredit and disrupt their narrative;
- Win strategic state and local victories that refute and reject the destructive national Trump/Republican agenda, elevate an alternative, and move our vision forward;
- Win power in 2018 and 2020 to deliver on our vision.
The Online-Offline Electoral Organizer will be an integral member of Bend the Arc Jewish Action’s field team and will be responsible for building and mobilizing a base in 3-4 target districts this election cycle to deliver a total of 25,000 voter contacts. The Organizer will build the base in target districts through online and offline engagement activities and tactics (including digital petitions, house meetings, trainings, and public demonstrations with partners, as well as canvasses and phonebanks). The Organizer will identify and engage volunteer leaders and coach and mentor these leaders to take sustained action with Bend the Arc.
- Volunteer Recruitment. You’ll recruit Bend the Arc members to participate in our strategic campaigns.
- Online-to offline-strategy. You’ll work closely with our digital organizers to develop and implement effective and winning online-to-offline strategies and tactics.
- Leadership Development. Through mentoring, coaching, and training, you’ll prepare volunteer leaders to take on greater and greater responsibility.
- Event and Action Organizing. You’ll support volunteer leaders to organize strategic actions, base-building events, canvasses, and phonebanks.
- Voter contact. Mobilize volunteers to execute a total of 25,000 voter contacts.
- Social Media. You’ll train and coach member leaders to use social media to advance their campaigns and build the base.
- Rapid Response. When news breaks, our network often needs to respond immediately. Whether it's rallies, house parties or press conferences, you'll make sure Bend the Arc responds forcefully when we need to spring into action.
- Reporting. You’ll report directly to your supervisor and document your progress and results in detail.
- Regular travel to target districts will be necessary.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 1-2 years of demonstrated experience and success in electoral or distributed organizing;
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Bend the Arc;
- Experience working respectfully and collaboratively with volunteers to build their skills and commitment, and inspire their best work;
- Understanding of online to offline organizing strategies and organizing to scale;
- Commitment to anti-oppression practices and experience centering the leadership of People of Color in a multi-racial organizing context;
- Demonstrated success at keeping multiple projects organized; good work planning skills; strong administrative and time-management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work evenings and Sundays as needed;
- Ability to travel to target districts as needed;
- Creativity, flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced campaign environment;
- Skilled and effective team player;
- Experience using NationBuilder or other CRM and CMS programs is preferred;
- Experience using NPG VAN is preferred.
Compensation and Hours:
This is a full-time position, with the need for occasional evening or weekend work schedules. Salary is competitive and appropriate to experience, and includes health benefits.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] with “Field Organizer” in the subject line of your message. We sincerely regret that we will not be able respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Bend the Arc encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.