Job Opening: Accounting Associate/Bookkeeper (Full Time)
Reports to: Controller
Location: Bend the Arc National Office, New York
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc: Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
For years, we’ve worked to build a more just society. Now we’re rising up in solidarity with everyone threatened by the Trump agenda to fight for the soul of our nation. Together we stand with communities under attack, win strategic state and local legislative victories that offer an alternative to the Trump's destructive agenda, hold Trump’s enablers in Congress accountable, and register, educate, and mobilize voters.
The Accounting Associate/Bookkeeper assists with accounts payable, recordkeeping, entries into our accounting system, bookkeeping, administration of our contracts, time management system and some accounting / finance projects to support the financial function of the organization. Knowledge and prior experience with QuickBooks software is necessary as well as some understanding of an accounting function.
- Work closely with the Controller on managing grant payments to grant recipients, and payments to consultants and other vendors in processing and recording of payments
- Code and input invoices in accordance with our ledger system and generate reports for internal use
- Assist with time management system including tracking of time off accruals for staff.
- Prepare credit card reports, input them in QuickBooks, make credit card payments
- Interacting with staff to obtain expense reports and follow-up with vendors to process payments
- Filing & scanning
- Vendor management
- Deposit checks, record check and credit card deposit in QuickBooks.
- Reconcile Due to and Due from accounts in two companies in QuickBooks
- Managing the process of receiving contracts for CFO’s review and signature
- Providing some assistance with office services
Skills and Qualifications:
- Individual with at least two years of experience supporting and performing accounting activities. Undergraduate degree or equivalent professional work experience required with knowledge of accounting and willingness to be involved in the detail payments process and generating financial reports from the accounting system
- Well organized, with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Google Suite and other applications required
- Knowledge and prior use of QuickBooks - preferably in a not-for-profit organization
- Works well with others and is willing to support and follow-up with staff, including staff from managed projects
- Strong commitment to and passion for the mission and values of Bend the Arc
- Ability to travel approximately 1-3 times per year
Compensation and Hours:
This is a full-time position. Annual salary range is $43,000 to $46,000 DOE, and includes paid time off and health benefits.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accounting Associate/Bookkeeper” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls please. We sincerely regret that we will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Bend the Arc encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.